About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

1 December 2015

Tweed Skirt & Nostalgia


Tweed is the most typical English fabric (I wonder if the English think the same:-)) and only belonging the Scottish plaid can be compared  with this fact by the banality :-) But this idea was not definitive while choosing the next object for sewing. Besides, my tweed is of Ukrainian production. No, the pushing moment was... nostalgia. Nowadays we hardly use the word in connection with longing for Motherland...  We willingly yearn for other various things mostly and everybody has own list.
I am not the one who enjoys diving into the memories to regret about the things I could do but neglected and about the chances I could use but missed. But like anybody else  I spontaneously plunge into memories being  influenced by certain music, fragrance and, no doubt, by old fashion magazines:-) By the way, to look through the latter was the only thing I was prohibited to do while growing... I guess it only because I was never inclined to bad doings so my parents just couldn't decide what to ban and invented that restriction :-) Or maybe because it was really annoying for my family to see me turning the pages of the same issues (and there were no more than six or seven of them) for years. Who knows... but the result is to the fore - all of my life I'm obsessed with needle work. On different reasons there is none of those magazines from my childhood now, however, to make this skirt I used the pattern from one of the oldest Burda's issues I have, I bought it when was 19. Pretty old... I mean the magazine, of course:-))



Спідниця з твіду і ностальгія



Твід - найтиповіша англійська тканина (цікаво, чи англійці думають так само:-))  І з банальністю цього факту можна порівняти лише приналежність шотландської клітинки :-)  Але ця глибока думка не була вирішальною при виборі наступного проекту для пошиття. Крім того, мій твід - українського виробництва. Ні, спонукальним моментом стала... ностальгія. За наших часів навряд чи ми вживаємо це слово сумуючи за Вітчизною... Більш охоче ми тужимо за іншими речами і у кожного свій список.
Не з тих я, хто полюбляє поринати в спогади, щоб волати про речі, які я могла зробити, але знехтувала ними та про можливості, які мала, але втратила. Натомість, як і будь-хто інший, я невимушено занурююсь у спогади викликані певною музикою, ароматами та, без сумніву, старими журналами мод:-) До речі, дивитися їх - це було єдине, що мені колись забороняли робити поки я дорослішала.... Думаю це лише тому, що у мене не було поганих схильностей отже батьки і не могли вигадати жодних інших обмежень, крім цього:-) А може, спостерігання того, як я роками гортаю сторінки одних і тих самих видань (а їх було всього шість чи сім) і справді дратувало. Та як би там не було, але все моє життя я захоплююсь рукотворами. З різних причин жодного з тих журналів з мого дитинства не залишилось, проте, для пошиття цієї спідниці я обрала модель з одного найстаріших чисел Burda, які в мене є. Купила його, коли мені було 19.  Досить старе... маю на увазі видання, звісно:-))




Despite the pattern is old,  none ever says that about the skirt because it is a pleated one and it is not easy to change such a model to the level of  old-fashioned. It is classic and universal.
I also like the single-piece bands a lot both in skirts and trousers. This detail suits well for curvy figures. As the skirt sewed of tweed and the pleats made it double, it gives extra warmth preserving the comfort at the same time. To say in brief, it is one of my favourite skirt's designs and silhouettes: fitting around hips and loose around legs.




Незважаючи на те, що модель стара, про спідницю такого не скажеш, тому що вона в складку і це не так вже просто змінити модель настільки, щоб назвати її старомодною. Вона класична і універсальна.
Я також дуже полюбляю  цільнокроєний пасок і в спідницях чи в штанях. Він добре підходить для фігур з вигинами. Оскільки спідниця з твіду, а складки роблять її подвійною, це додає тепла і в той же час зберігається відчуття зручності. Загалом очевидно, що це один з моїх улюблених фасонів і силуетів спідниць - прилягаючий по стегнах і вільний по низу.



The instruction is simple and the  skirt is easy to make. After sewing the pleats and joining front and back parts it looks in this way.

My piece of advice: don't unbaste the pleats till your work is finished especially if you sew from the fabric without or with little containing of synthetic fibre (it keeps the shape of the pleats very well so is good for making pleats).


Інструкція дуже проста і пошити спідницю не важко. Так вона виглядатиме після зшивання складок та передньої і задньої частин.
Невеличка порада: не видаляйте зметувальні стібки складок до закінчення роботи. Особливо, якщо спідниця з тканини без або з малим вмістом синтетичного волокна ( таке  волокно дуже добре підходить для речей в складку, тому що добре зберігає їх форму).



Then sew the facing of the upper edge. Its inner edge can be processed in two ways: either oversewed (with overlock, for example)  and sewed to the skirt for 6 cm or folded and sewed to the skirt as well. I prefer the second variant because the fabric is pretty fraying out.



Потім пришиваємо обшивку до верхнього краю спідниці. Її внутрішній зріз можна обробити двома способами: або обмітати і пришити до спідниці по розміченій лінії, по моделі - 6 см або підгорнути і пришити так само. Я надаю перевагу другому способу, тому що тканина добре обсипається.




If the fabric is pretty thick, it is good to press the seam allowance of the upper skirt's edge and the facing in two sides. And only then turn the piece out and baste the edge.




Якщо  тканина товста, припуски на шви верхнього краю спідниці і обшивки краще розпрасувати. І лише потім вивернути і виметувати.







Don't forget to sew the loops in the seam of the facing to hang the skirt.



Не забуваємо пришити петлі в шов притачування обшивки, щоб потім вішати спідницю.





Before sewing the inner parts of the pleats to the skirt hem them.


Перед тим як пришивати внутрішні частини складок до спідниці треба їх підшити.







Before to sew the inner parts the skirt should be hemmed as well. My piece of advice - to mark the hem line before unbasting the bottom of the pleats. In this way the hem's line will coincide around all the pleats' ribs.


Перед тим, як пришивати внутрішні частини складок, спідницю теж треба підшити. Невеличка порада: намітити лінію низу до того, як випарувати низ заметаних складок. Таким чином всі ребра складок в готовій спідниці збігатимуться по довжині.



The last thing to do before ironing and wearing the skirt - to sew the inner allowance for pleats together.


Останнє, що треба зробити перед прасуванням і одяганням спідниці: зшити внутрішні припуски на складки.




Let's wear it! Looks beautiful, doesn't it? :-)
When picturing I paired the skirt with a blouse #102  from Burda 9/2010 that I made two years ago. I made a couple of modifications in it to  make it more practical.




Виглядає справді чудово! :-)
На фото спідниця скомбінована з блузою №102 з Burda 9/2010, яку я пошила два роки тому. Блузу я трохи змінила, щоб зробити її більш практичною.




The first change: as my blouse was made of stretch satin that has different right and wrong sides,  instead of two collar ruffles I made one doubled. I cut it twice wider and then folded.


Перша зміна - комірцеві шлярки. Оскільки моя блуза з еластичного атласу, який має різні лицеву і виворітну сторони, замість двох шлярок, я зробила одну. Покроїла її вдвічі ширшою, потім просто склала вдвоє.





As soon as I imaged myself eating when having this blouse on, it became clear that all the menu will be on the cuff ruffles. So I made them twice narrower, just folded them twice along and got 6 cm width instead of 12. I would recommend to make them less gathered as well at least if made from such fabric like mine.




Щойно уявила, як я щось їм вдягнена у цю блузку, одразу зрозуміла, що все меню буде на шлярках манжет. Тому я їх вдвічі звузила, просто склала вздовж і так отримала 6 см ширини замість 12. Я б також порадила трохи менше збирання для них, принаймні, якщо шити з такої тканини, як моя.




And if you want to survive in cold weather red things are must-haves, at least for me:-) So I guess this my simple not  new red bolero made of yarn remnants matches the skirt greatly. The pattern for the bolero was taken here.
And these earrings complete the outfit very well:-)

I wish a nice winter to everybody :-)



І якщо хочеш вижити холодної зими, червоні речі - це просто must-haves, принаймні для мене:-) Тому, здається, це моє теж не нове просте червоне болеро, сплетене із залишків пряжі, чудово комбінується зі спідницею. Модель болеро було знайдено тут.
Ці сережки вдало доповнюють комплект:-)


Бажаю всім гарної зими:-)


10 comments:

  1. Така спiдниця потрiбна всiм, особливо для тих, хто живе в холодних краях! Ти менi нагадала, як я теж гортала 5-6 журнальчикiв Burda, якi були в мами :) Я iх прогортала до дирок та iх вже, напевно, немаэ.

    Блуза така авангардна та стильна! Супер!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Дякую:-) Мої улюбленці були естонський "Силует" (не знаю, чи він ще існує), мамі якимось дивом вдалося оформити передплату за 1976 рік, листи викрійок, до речі, у мене збереглися, а ще були такі київські маленькі, з намальованими моделями, викрійки в них були некудишні, але ідей було повно: я з них намоделювала купу речей, коли виросла:-)

      Блузка справді класна; я через неї журнал купила.

      Delete
  2. совершенные юбка, блузка и котельные поздравления :)
    Супер!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Чудоа спідниця!!! Подобається перший варіант, де прикраса - квітка червоного кольору.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Дякую за прекрасні емоції:-) Дуже люблю червоний колір, тому, де тільки можу додаю червоний акцент.

      Delete
  4. Your skirt is awesome and fits you very well! I want to make myself a skirt like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the great feedback!!! Thank you very much:-) I am sure the skirt is much easier to sew than the projects I saw in your blog:-) By the way, I am going to make the jacket by the same pattern like yours red with checked lining, I like it very much:-)

      Delete