About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

3 May 2017

Knitwear Dress, or Sweet Sadness



It happens not often... may be even never, at least right now I cannot remember some other example of such a case, but this  project was inspired by a piece of music and the nice chat about it with my G+ friend +Blanca Garcia. When I heard that composition, In the Mood for Love, it made me think not only about the sentiment. The feeling born with the melody I defined as "sweet sadness" and tried to imagine how it would look like if being painted... I used to read about such experience of famous composers and, especially, children, but never related it to myself. At that moment I tried to fancy that. I imagined wavy entwining around each other lines that are stretching on the move far long and on their infinite way create  patterns of odd leaves and flowers, which burst in blossoming time and again. The lines are grey  for sadness and purple for mystery of the feeling and those flowers are surely red  for passion...
I didn't look for this special fabric but as soon as I saw it, its print reminded me that non-stopping flow of sad and sweet melody... I thought as I am not such a great artist to invent my own fabric's patterns, why not to use the achievement of other people's creativity to sew something of that material  to revive the impressions from that music every time when wearing the outfit?

The jewelry, of course, was made purposely to the dress:-)



Сукня з трикотажу, або Солодкий сум


Це трапляється не часто... можливо навіть такого ніколи і не було, принаймні зараз я не можу згадати інший такий випадок, коли б мене надихнули на пошиття музичний твір та ще і приємна розмова про нього з моєю G+ подругою +Blanca Garcia. Коли я почула цю композицію, In the Mood for Love, я подумала не лише про почуття. Моє сприйняття цієї музики я визначила як "солодкий сум" і спробувала уявити, як би вона виглядала, якби її зобразити у малюнку... Я колись читала про такий досвід і відомих композиторів і дитячий, але ніколи не співвідносила його із собою. Але в той момент я спробувала це вимислити. Я уявила хвилясті лінії переплетені між собою, які простягалися в русі кудись далеко і на тому своєму нескінченному шляху утворювали візерунки з чудернацького листя та квітів, які час від часу розкривали свої пелюстки у пишному цвітінні. Ті лінії були сірі для смутку, фіолетові - для таємничості почуття, а квіти - звісно червоні - для пристрасті.

Я спеціально не шукала цієї тканини, але щойно я її побачила, її візерунок нагадав мені безперервний потік тієї сумної і солодкої мелодії... Я подумала, якщо я не такий великий митець, щоб вигадувати власні орнаменти, то чому б не скористатися надбанням творчості інших людей та не пошити щось з цієї матерії, щоб оживляти враження від тієї музики щоразу, коли вдягаєш вбрання?

Прикраси, звісно, були зроблені спеціально до сукні :-)




The pattern is very simple. I'd rather say it is primitive but it is exactly what the fabric requires. It is model #5 from Diana Moden 10/2013 (Ukrainian edition). The distinctive feature of my variant is the fact that I only had 1.20 m of the fabric and it turned out to be enough. If suddenly the one who doesn't sew reads the post, just trust it me it is the insolence for a tailor to sew the dress from this amount of fabric but I'd call it "overwhelming confidence in own skills":-)) No secrets, there was 1.20 m x 160 cm.



Модель дуже проста, я б навіть назвала її примітивною, але це саме те, чого прагне така тканина. Сукня №5 з Diana Moden 10/2013 (українське видання). Визначною особливістю мого варіанту є те, що у мене було лише 1,20 м тканини і цього виявилося досить. Якщо раптом це читає той, хто не шиє, просто повірте мені, що це нахабство з боку кравчині  шити сукню з такої кількості тканини, але я б назвала це "надзвичайною впевненістю у своїх уміннях" :-)) Жодної інтриги,  у мене було 1,20 м х 160 см.



The pattern is very loose, it is not bad but to add at least slight fitting I made waist darts on the front part.
I guess it is clear from the photo how to make it. But if to make more fitting, it is better to add two darts: one bigger closer to the centre (about on the half way from the side) and one more smaller on the half way from the first to the side.
Besides, I lengthened the dress for 4 cm and deepened the neck hole for about 5 cm.



Модель має дуже вільний силует і це непогано, але хоч для невеличкого прилягання, я вирішила додати витачки по передній частині. Думаю, з фото зрозуміло як це робиться, але якщо потрібно більше прилягання, краще зробити  по дві витачки: одну більшу, десь посередині між центром і лінією боку, а другу - меншу, посередині між першою і боковим зрізом.
Крім того, я подовжила сукню на 4 см і поглибила виріз горловини  десь на 5 см.



The sleeve was made 7/8 not only because of the lack of the fabric but because the bracelet was planned to wear. 7/8 means that the length of the sleeve must be divided into 8 and then shorten for the got number. (If you want the length 3/4, it means the length must be divided into 4 and then shortened for 1/4).


Рукав був зроблений 7/8 не лише через брак тканини, а і тому що планувалося носити браслет. 7/8 означає, що довжину рукава треба поділити на 8 і потім скоротити на отримане число. (Якщо хочеш 3/4, довжину треба поділити на 4 і потім скоротити на 1/4).



The neck hole is processed with the facing. The front one was cut with a seam on the centre because I was short of the fabric.



Виріз горловини оброблено обшивкою, для передньої частини довелося викроїти її зі швом по середині через малу кількість тканини.




I also made a thin belt. I am not proud of the number of the pieces it is made of so I won't tell how many they are. Thanking to the print nobody can count the seams anyway:-)
Instead I am very glad I have no remnants. Every time such projects make me think about people who buy ready clothes and never have any leftovers and headache because of the question where to save them. So this time I am exactly like them and it is great.



Також я зробила тоненький пасок. Не пишаюся зі скількох шматочків я його зібрала, тому казати не буду. Завдяки візерунку тканини все одно ніхто не порахує шви:-)
Натомість, я рада, що не залишилося жодних вартих уваги клаптиків. Щоразу такі проекти спричиняють думки про людей, які купують готові речі і у них ніколи не болить голова про те, де зберігати рештки тканини. Тож цього разу  мені так само пощастило і це чудово.

No comments:

Post a Comment