About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

13 July 2020

Viscose Dress, or Sorrento & Lemons

What should a tourist do finding oneself in Sorrento for just a day? In my list: bathing in the sea, gaping in a Christmas store (where a beautiful girl is sitting among Christmas decorations under the Christmas tree and painting Christmas ornaments!), wandering around the town's streets and feeling desperately envious to those who are able to spend here the whole holiday:-) If you ever saw the pictures of  the bathing in the sea people who seem to be hovering in the air it is exactly the place where you can be one of them! It is impossible to avoid the wish to dip into the bay's water. Only after the bathing you are ready to walk around and, as any average tourist, you go to the busiest streets where you are surrounded with the lemons in all states: fruits themselves, piles of souvenirs  of any kinds and, of course, local liquor Limoncello that seems to be sold in every other store. The air saturated with lemons' aroma makes your choice without any objection  from you and you step in one of those stores, your finger points the bottle full of lemon peels in liquid, the girl nods and pours you a drink. You sip and at once want some water to add to the portion because your mouth is full of usual lemon hooch and you understand that to smell and see in this case is better than taste and pretend you like it :-) 



Сукня з віскози, або Сорренто та лимони 



Що робити туристу, який опинився в Сорренто лише на один день? У моєму списку: купання в морі, роззявляння рота у різдвяній крамниці (в якій прекрасна дівчина сидить серед різдвяних прикрас під різдвяною ялинкою і розмальовує різдвяні кульки!), безцільне блукання по місту і відчайдушні заздрощі до тих, хто в змозі провести тут цілу відпустку:-) Якщо ви колись бачили фото людей, які купаються у морі, але при цьому наче зависають у повітрі, то це саме те місце, де можна себе відчути одним з них. Неможливо уникнути бажання пірнути у води затоки. І лише після купання ти готовий до прогулянки і, як і будь який пересічний турист, прямуєш до найжвавішої вулиці, на якій тебе оточують лимони у всіх станах: самі фрукти, сувеніри всіх видів із зображенням лимона або у його вигляді, і, звісно ж, місцевий напій, Лимончелло який, здається, продають у кожній другий крамниці. Повітря, насичене ароматом лимонів, робить вибір за тебе без жодних заперечень з твого боку і ти заходиш до однієї з тих крамниць, тицяєш у банку повну залитих рідиною лимонних шкірок, дівчина киває і наливає тобі напій. Ти сьорбаєш і одразу хочеш додати води до порції, тому що твій рот наповнений звичайним лимонним самогоном і ти розумієш, що це саме той випадок, коли дивитися і нюхати краще ніж смакувати  і прикидатися, що ти у захваті :-) 




So when I after coming back from the trip I saw this fabric with the lemon branches print  I could help buying it. At first I was going to sew a shirt dress. The idea was inspired by Sorrento's free beach reality. It is very short and not comfortable so I thought about the clothes  quickly changeable for the swimming suit. But seeing the dress #103 from Burda 6/2020 I felt it does correspond the atmosphere of that respectable place where I was lucky to be. Besides, it was 37 degrees above zero last week here so the loose dress is the best clothes to wear in such weather after staying naked :-) 




Тож коли, по поверненні з подорожі, я побачила цю тканину з принтом з гілок лимонів, не могла її не купити. Спочатку збиралася пошити з неї сукню сорочку. Ідея теж була надбана з реальності безкоштовного пляжу в Сорренто. Він дуже короткий і незручний, тож я думала про одяг який можна швидко змінити на купальник. Але побачивши сукню #103 з Burda 6/2020, я відчула, що вона краще відповідає атмосфері того респектабельного курорту, де мені пощастило побувати. До того ж минулого тижня у нас тут було +37, і вільна сукня - найкращий вид одягу для такої погоди після того щоб просто залишатися голим:-) 






The sewing is simple but with a confusing moment. The front shoulder line was essentially longer than the back's. As a rule it is vise versa, besides, none of the words were said about gathering the front shoulder edge in the instruction. So I decided I had been inattentive and cut the dress with feet not with hands. The draft were checked and as you see, it was not my fault. And that is good.





Пошиття просте але з моментом збентеження. Лінія плеча передньої частини виявилася довшою за плече спинки. Як правило, буває навпаки, крім того, в інструкції жодного слова не сказано про призбирування переду по  плечу. Тож я подумала, що була неуважної і кроїла не руками, а ногами. Викрійку перевірила і, як видно, це була не моя провина. От і добре.



I had to decide if to cut the extra fabric or process as it is. I chose the second but for those who will sew the modification with sleeves, it is better to cut. If the front part must be gathered, then we should baste from the front and stitch on the back with slight pulling of the details to avoid pleats along the seam. 






Треба було вирішити чи зрізати зайву тканину чи обробляти як є. Я обрала друге, але тим, хто шитиме модифікацію з рукавами, краще зрізати. Якщо передня частина призбирується, то зметуємо по переду, а строчимо по спинці з легким розтягуванням, щоб уникнути складок уздовж шва. 




It was interesting to make the front slit. I had never made such a neckhole before. In the instruction they suggest three ways of the sewing the slit. I chose with hands. 

After wearing the dress I wish I did the same slit on the back but longer.






Цікаво було обробляти розріз по центру переду. Я ніколи раніше такої горловини не робила. В інструкції пропонують три способи зшивання отвору. Я обрала вручну. 

Після носіння сукні вважаю, що варто було б зробити такий самий розріз на спинці, але довший.


I expected the dress to be more fitted so made a belt but didn't wear it as changed my opinion about the fitting:-) 





Очікувала, що сукня буде більш прилягати тож зробила до неї пасок, але так його і не надягла, бо змінила думку щодо облягання:-)





The hat is a must-have for hot weather; the necklace and the earrings were made purposely to match the dress. 

My full album Sorrento is here.





Без капелюшка в спеку ніяк; намисто і сережки зроблені спеціально до сукні.

Мій повний альбом Сорренто тут.

2 comments:

  1. Great dress! I really like the lemon print fabric; during summer time it looks fantastic. Funny, I was also looking for this type of fabric, for a new dress! We so often think alike, crazy! And I like yourjewellery matching set. Enjoy Summer! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie, so much for the compliments to my work.You understand me very well with this Lemon Garden, I just couldn't pass by:-))

      Delete