About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

5 September 2020

Raglan Sleeves Sheath Dress, or Lamb Hats


Once upon a time a man came to a hat maker with a piece of lamb fur and asked the master if it was possible to sew a hat of that piece. The hatter said, "Yes", and took the order. As soon as the man left, the idea to sew two hats of that piece of fur occurred to him and he returned to the workshop to ask if it was a chance to make two hats. The hatter said "yes" again and took the new order. Having left the place the man thought that the piece of the fur was probably big enough to make three hats and rushed to the hatter with that idea. The master agreed again and took a new order to sew three hats of the piece. And in that way it went on until the man ordered seven hats. Obviously, when he came to get his hats, they turned to be very small but the man was surprised. This parable has been known for me since my childhood and was on my mind all the time while I was sewing this dress. Why? I've mentioned here not once that many years I almost don't buy fabrics just because I like them. Before purchasing I try either match the model to the desired material or, vise versa, the fabric to the model I like. Exceptions happen mostly when they have a piece of a certain size on sale or when the fabric is quite expensive for me. Then I buy a small piece for a shift dress plus, just in case, suddenly I want to add a shortest sleeves ever. It is about 1.30(40) m x 140 cm. And then, when the time to sew comes, I want to make something different :-) 



Сукня-футляр з рукавами реглан, або Баранячі шапки 


Колись давно один хлоп завітав до капелюшника зі шматком баранячого хутра і запитав майстра, чи можна пошити з того шматка шапку. Йому відповіли, що можна і взяли замовлення. Щойно чоловік пішов, йому спало на думку, що з того хутра варто було б пошити дві шапки, і він повернувся до майстерні. Майстер був не проти пошити і дві шапки тож взяв нове замовлення. Дорогою додому чоловік вирішив, що шматок хутра такий великий, що вистачить і на три шапки, тож знову повернувся до майстерні. Капелюшник погодився, що і три шапки покроїти не проблема.  І так це тривало аж допоки чоловік не замовив сім шапок. Вочевидь, коли він прийшов забирати свої шапки, вони виявилися занадто маленькі, але чоловік був дуже здивований результатом. Ця притча відома мені з дитинства і не йшла мені з голови весь час поки я шила цю сукню. Вже тут не один раз згадувала, що багато років майже не купую тканин лише тому, що вони мені подобаються. Перед придбанням намагаюся або підібрати модель до тканини, або, навпаки, тканину до бажаної моделі. Виключення трапляються, коли продається або відріз певного розміру, або тканина для мене занадто дорога. Тоді купую маленький відріз на сукню-футляр плюс, про всяк випадок, раптом захочу додати найкоротші у світі рукави. Це десь 
1.30(40) м x 140 cм. А потім, коли настає час пошиття, хочу зробити щось інше:-)




This time from the piece of linen 1.40 x 140 cm I wanted to make dress #118 from Burda 7/2019. It has raglan sleeves, which I didn't want to shorten, a belt of main fabric, which I was going to make, and the waist plackets, which I wasn't going to make as I don't understand why to thicken the waist with it. I also lengthened the dress for about 6-7 cm.





Цього разу з відрізу льону 1.40 м х  140 см мені закортіло пошити сукню 118 з Burda 7/2019. Вона має рукави реглан, які мені не хотілося вкорочувати, пасок з основної тканини, який я збиралася робити і планки навколо талії, які не збиралася додавати, тому що не розумію, навіщо потовщувати лінію талії. Сукню я також подовжила десь на 6-7 см. 


As soon as the cutting started, it became clear that the only chance to have raglan sleeves was to cut them on the bias. If the model isn't implied that, in my opinion it is better not to do that to avoid stretching and losing the shape of the sleeves after washing. But I thought my linen is rough enough so let it be.




Щойно почала кроїти, стало зрозуміло, що рукави реглан отримаю лише кроєні навскіс. Якщо це не визначено моделлю, як на мене, краще цього не робити, щоб рукави не витягувалися і не втрачали форму після прання. Але подумала, що льон доволі грубий, тож нехай так і буде.


The sleeves are basted from the back and stitched from the front side. The gathering is only up to the shoulder mark. The sleeve here has perfect construction so I'd love to use it as a base pattern if still design on my own. 



Рукави зметують зі сторони спинки, зшивають зі сторони передньої частини. Призбирування лише до плечової мітки. Рукав тут має прекрасну конструкцію, тож як би я все ще моделювала власні моделі, із задоволенням використала його як основу.




Despite the required fabric need to be stretching, and mine was a little, I don't think it is a must. The dress, here the size 42, is, I'd rather say, semifitted. So the belt is needed indeed but I didn't have fabric for it, too. Maybe I'll buy some leather one but not surely. 

The outfit is completed with Lattice Earrings and Shaped CRAW Bracelet. But there are much more variants of matching jewelry here :-)





Хоча рекомендована тканина має бути з еластаном, і моя таки має зовсім крихту, я не думаю, що це важливо. Сукня, а тут у розмірі 42, скоріше напівприталена. Тож пасок не завадив би, але у мене на нього тканини не вистачило. Може куплю якійсь шкіряний, але не певна. Вбрання доповнила сережками "Решітка" і об'ємним браслетом в техніці CRAW. Але варіантів гожих прикрас тут є набагато більше:-)



After joining the bodice and the skirt I saw the bodice's darts and the skirt's pleats don't coincide. It is not the problem at all as design could be whatever, but in this dress the waist plackets
 (red lines on the right photo), which I had omitted from the first sight, are good as they start right above the skirt pleats. But, as I wasn't going to make them as well as didn't have enough  fabric for that, there is no use to cry :-) 




Після з'єднання ліфу і спідниці побачила, що виточки ліфу і складки спідниці не збігаються. Це не проблема, оскільки фасони можуть бути які завгодно, але в цій сукні планки на талії (червоні лінії на правому фото), від яких я відмовилася з першого погляду, логічні, оскільки вони починаються від складок спідниці. Але ж я і не збиралася їх робити і тканини на них все одно не вистачало, тож запізно "пити боржомі":-)



As the dress was lengthened, in the centre back sea I made a short slit and reinforced it after slight gathering to avoid its opening during the wearing. (sounds like a sentence to practise the Gerund:-)) 




Оскільки сукню подовжила, зробила коротенький розріз у середньому шві спинки. Зміцнила його після невеличкого призбирування, щоб не відкривався під час носіння сукні. 



The neckhole is processed with the facing. 



Виріз горловини оброблено обшивкою.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful dress Oksana! Love the colors and the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ellen, for the high opinion, it is appreciated a lot!

      Delete