About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

7 November 2020

Mum's Dress, or Skills Reviving



I have sewed for none else but me for not less than twenty years. Until saw this fabric. It made me smile from the first sight because of its colourful and merry flowerful print. Some child's memories crossed my mind and suddenly I suggested mum to make her a dress. Despite she likes to remember the clothes I used to create for her ages ago these her recollections are quite vague for me so I hardly ever can support such a conversation with my remarks or comments. I forgot most of those things although all of them were of my own design as there was little fashion's information in our country in the times of my childhood and teen age. But in many houses one could find books on the "do-it-yourself" topics including the books on sewing clothes, both designing and technology. Their general usefulness is the matter of arguing but if anyone wanted eagerly to learn to make drafts and sew, there was no obstacles for that. I was one of those wishers indeed.  


Мамина сукня, або Відновлення навичок 



Нікому крім себе я не шила вже не менше двадцяти років. Поки не побачила цю тканину. З першого погляду вона викликала посмішку своїм барвистим і веселим квітковим візерунком. В голові промайнули якісь дитячи спогади і раптом я запропонувала мамі пошити з цієї тканини сукню. Хоча мама полюбляє згадувати одяг, який я колись для неї створювала, для мене ці спогади доволі невиразні, тож підтримати подібну розмову своїми зауваженнями чи коментарями не можу. Я забула більшість з тих речей, хоча всі вони були мого власного авторства, оскільки в нашій країні в часи мого дитинства та юнацтва інформації про моду було дуже мало. При тому в багатьох господах можна було знайти книжки на тему "зроби сам" включно з книжками про пошиття одягу, і конструювання і технологію. Питання їхньої користі доволі суперечливе, але якщо хтось справді бажав навчитися робити викрійки і шити, перешкод для цього не було. Я саме і була однією з таких бажаючих.





So many details are mentioned here because I decided to draft a basic pattern for my mother's figure and then modify it as to adjust a ready pattern from any magazine would take not less time or even more than making a sloper. I had several sources to use for doing that. The best one was lost years ago. They were notes from my sewing school. Once upon a time I lent them to somebody and never got back. In the times of my active tailoring I didn't care as I knew all those notes by heart but now only can cry over the spilt milk :-) Now I have a few books: old (1991), older (1976) and the oldest (1956) - so tried to follow one of them to revive my skills of a designer:-) 





Стільки спогадів тут задіяно, тому що  я вирішила накреслити викрійку-основу для маминої фігури, а потім її змоделювати, бо редагування вже готової викрійки з будь якого журналу зайняло б не менше, а то і більше, часу. У мене було декілька джерел, щоб це зробити. Найкраще загубилося роки тому. Це були мої записи зі швейної школи, які я комусь позичила і вже більше ніколи не бачила. В часи мого активного кравецтва мене це не обходило, бо ті записи я знала напам'ять, але тепер можу тільки "пити боржомі" :-)  Зараз у мене є декілька книжок: стара (1991), старіша (1976) і стародавня (1956) - от за однією з них і намагалася відновити свої дизайнерські навички:-)


The book from 1991 was surely created for the space rocket engineers who after building their rockets have the only dream to sew a dress or two for themselves. After reading a couple of its pages it becomes obvious that I cannot sew at all so it is better not to start. The book from 1956 is, actually, my granny's. And the book from 1976 was one of those I used in my school years to draft basic patterns for myself and my mum. However this time I was not happy with the outcome of the efforts at all as the dress needed a lot of adjustment after its first fitting. 





Книжка 1991 року написана для конструкторів космічних ракет, які, після того як ті ракети збудовані, тільки і мріють як пошити собі пару сукенок. Після читання декількох її сторінок, стає зрозуміло, що шити я взагалі не вмію, то вже краще і не починати. Книжка 1956 року насправді належала моїй бабці. А книжка 1976 року була однією з тих, за якими я вчилася креслити викрійки-основи для себе та мами в свої шкільні роки. Проте цього разу я не була задоволена результатом креслення адже після першої примірки сукню треба було багато підганяти. 




I also had a good news. I still can do trying and fitting on :-) Here the dress with the pins after being tried on first time and changes I made for the back. 




Гарна новина теж була. Я все ще вмію робити примірки і редагування:-) Тут сукня з булавками після першої примірки та змінами зробленими для спинки. 




Here the changes for the front. And the fitting of the sleeve. 




Тут зміни для передньої частини. І примірка рукава. 


The story of the neckhole processing is sad with a happy end. From the very beginning I wanted to work up the neckhole with the facing on the right side using the flowered part of the fabric. But after the trying the dress on we decided to let it be as it was and mum would wear any of my bright necklaces to decorate the black neckhole which she didn't like too much. When the neckhole was ready, I burnt it while ironing. So  had to come back to my initial idea. I removed the neckhole edge ruined by the iron, about 2.5-3 cm, and cut a new, doubled, facing from the flowered part of the fabric. That is a fate :-) 


Історія обробки горловини сумна, але зі щасливим кінцем. Із самого початку мені хотілося обробити горловину обшивкою з квітчастої частини тканини на лицевій стороні сукні. Але після примірки ми вирішили, що нехай залишається як є, а мама надягне якесь з моїх яскравих намист, щоб прикрасити чорний виріз, який їй не дуже сподобався. Коли виріз вже був оброблений, я його спалила під час прасування і довелося повернутися до початкової ідеї. Тільки тепер я мала зрізати частину деформованого праскою вирізу, десь 2,5-3 см, і викроїти нову обшивку, подвійну, з квітчастої частини тканини. Оце і є доля:-)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and your Mum for such a cheerful beautifully made dress. Happy fall to you both!
    Also love the red shoes:)
    -Eva Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the wonderful comment:-) The shoes are one of my all-times-favourite indeed:-)

      Delete