About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

8 June 2020

Polka Dot Twist Knot Dress or Art of Postponing

Personally I am a great follower of the idea that nothing is worth being postponed in life. I mean if we have a chance to do something we want, it should be done because right moments are very rare or easy to miss, as who knows what moment is right, and regretting always guard. But sometimes it is not bad to forget about one's desires and maybe, in some magic way they happen on their own. It could be indeed. The hardest thing is to define when it is right to act and when to stay passive:-) For example, I fell in love with this dress from the first sight. It was obviously designed for me :-) But first time I saw it as a separate pattern and was going to buy it one day when having matching fabric. Time passed, the idea was delayed, I started sewing by PDF printed patterns but chose the different models. Suddenly one day looking through the review of Burda 3/2020 issue I saw the dress in it and, of course, bought the magazine because of the pattern. Having the issue I could help thinking about the right fabric again and at last thought this cotton stretch polka dot sateen will be as good as possible: besides being cotton and stretch, it is also not ornate and so the dress will be good for every day use as I am not prone to wear the nice dresses only once a year on special occasion. Over and above the fabric has been in my stash for years and so this time there was no need to postpone the sewing. 




Сукня в горошок з перекрученим вузлом, або Мистецтво зволікання


Особисто я - велика прихильниця ідеї, що не варто в житті щось відкладати. Мається на увазі, якщо є можливість зробити те, чого прагнеш, варто це зробити, тому що відповідні моменти трапляються дуже рідко, або проминають непоміченими, та і хто зна, який момент "саме той", а ось жалкування завжди на чатах. Але іноді забути про свої бажання не так вже і погано і, можливо, якимось магічним чином, вони здійсняться самі по собі. Таке і справді трапляється. Найважче - це визначити, коли треба негайно діяти, а коли - залишатися пасивним:-) Скажімо, в цю сукню я закохалася з першого погляду, вочевидь вона була створена спеціально для мене:-) Але вперше я її побачила як окрему викрійку і збиралася її колись купити щойно знайду якусь гожу тканину. Час минав, ідея втратила актуальність, я почала користуватися PDF викрійками, але обрала інші моделі. Раптом одного дня, переглядаючи огляд Burda 3/2020, я побачила в ньому цю сукню і, звісно, купила число. Як вже мала журнал, то думки про тканину самі роїлися в голові і, зрештою, я подумала, що цей еластичний сатин в горошок буде саме те: він і бавовна і тягнеться, до того ж він зовсім не ошатний, тож сукня підійде на кожен день, оскільки я не схильна одягати гарне вбрання лише раз на рік з особливої нагоди. До того ж ця тканина у мене в запасах лежала роками, отже цього разу зволікати з пошиттям не було сенсу. 





So, the dress #118 from Burda 3/2020. It also can be found as Burda Style Pattern 6442. I made it 9 cm shorter and also sewed the front neck hole edges with few stitches and a bar because the neck hole is suggested to start (or end) under the breast line. As for the evening gown it is probably excellent indeed but for every day outfit of a teacher it is a little too much :-) 






Отже сукня 118 з Burda 3/2020. Також її можна знайти як модель 6442 (принаймні на нашому, українському, сайті). Я її зробила на 9 см коротшою і зшила декількома стібками та перемичкою краї вирізу оскільки передбачається, що виріз закінчується (чи починається) десь під грудьми. Для вечірнього вбрання це, мабуть,  дуже добре, але як для щоденної сукні вчительки трохи занадто:-)



The dress is quite quick to make despite it spent about two weeks on  my table. The main idea - the fabric must be well-draping enough to form a knot. After the front is assembled the rest of sewing is simple and plain. 



Сукня шиється швидко хоча і пролежала у мене на столі не менше двох тижнів. Головна ідея - тканина має драпіруватися достатньо добре, щоб утворити вузол. Після того як передня частина зібрана, решта пошиття проста і зрозуміла.


Reinforcing the slit and the zipper seam.





Зміцнення шліца і припуску на блискавку.

Processing of the facing. The front facing was stitched for about 30 cm, I like  everything being fixed firmly and the dress doesn't live on its own life:-) But now I think about 15-20 cm would be better, maybe I will unpick the stitching.



Обробка обшивок. Обшивку пілочки настрочила десь на 30 см. Мені подобається, коли все тримається на своїх місцях, а не живе власним життям:-) Але зараз я думаю, що 15-20 см було б краще, можливо я цей шов перероблю.



The shoulder seam has some gathering so it must be basted from the back but stitched from the front with slight stretching. It will help to avoid tiny pleats in the seam as the gathering is quite essential as for the shoulder. The seam steaming is a must.



Плечовий шов має посадку, тому зметувати треба зі сторони спинки, а строчити, з легким розтягуванням, по передній частині. Це допоможе уникнути мілких складок у шві, тому що, як, на плечовий шов, зізбирування істотне. Відпарювання шву обов'язкове




As for the sleeves, I very rarely do this, but this time I gathered the caps on the machine. It worked better indeed. 




Щодо рукавів, я це роблю дуже рідко, але цього разу окати рукавів призбирала на машинці. Це краще спрацювало.





The last step - sewing the edges of the front neck hole. I did it because of mentioned above reasons. It is individual and the spots are defined during trying on. I made with few stitches (blue mark on the photo) and a short bar. Because of this  the dress got a small wrinkle from the armhole on the level of the bar but I am sure after few days of wearing the dress it will disappear.





Останній крок - зшивання країв вирізу. Я це зробила з вищезгаданих причин. Це індивідуально і визначається на примірці. Зшила в двох місцях декількома стібками (блакитна мітка на фото) і перемичкою. Через це від пройми на рівні перемички утворився невеликий залом, але я впевнена, що через декілька днів носіння сукні він зникне.





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress! This is another one that tempted me as soon as I saw it! Thanks for the review and tips. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure my comment went through... So again, this is a beautiful dress, and I want one :-)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie, so much! Your comments are here and are appreciated a lot. I am very happy to hear from you! 💖🌹

      Delete