About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

20 October 2018

Maple Leaves Pillow, or Autumn in the House

A couple of weeks ago I tried to arrange the clothes in my wardrobe to keep summer and winter items separately and to avoid the permanent threaten to have a broken hanger bar. I know some good girls do it regularly but I managed  it the first time. During the process I found a small pillow that had been bought long ago but forgotten up to the right moment. That moment came today in the morning when I decided it is the time to sew a pillow case  for that cushion using the crocheted maple leaves.


Подушка "Кленове листя"

Пару тижнів тому я намагалася впорядкувати одяг в своєму гардеробі, щоб тримати літні і зимові речі окремо і уникати постійної загрози зламаної штанги для вішалок. Знаю, що деякі хороші дівчата роблять це постійно, але я цим зайнялася вперше.  В процесі було знайдено маленьку подушку куплену давно, але забуту до певного моменту. Цей момент наступив сьогодні вранці, коли я вирішила, що вже час пошити для цієї подушку наволочку прикрашену сплетеним гачком кленовим листям.



The pillow about 39x39 cm, remnants of thin coat fabric, a zipper (it is better to have as long as the width of the pillow but I only a had shorter one to match so used it) and the motifs for the decor, in fact, they will be applique.
Cut two squares 40х40 cm + seam allowance (double folded fabric). On one of the squares, which is supposed to be the front, mark the centre of the pillow case to control the arrangement of the motifs.





Подушка приблизно 39х39 см, залишки тонкої пальтової тканини, блискавка (краще довжиною сторони подушки, але у мене була коротша, тож я використала її), мотиви для оздоблення, фактично, це буде аплікація.
Вирізаємо два квадрати 40х40 см + припуски на шви (тканину складено вдвоє). На одному з квадратів, який буде передньою частиною, відмічаємо центр наволочки, щоб контролювати розташування мотивів.



Next step is to arrange the motifs. They can be either basted to the pillow or pinned if the details' textures are not smooth. I started with the bigger leaf, pinned it then stitched Then did the same with the smaller one.



Наступний крок - розташування мотивів. Їх можна або намітати, або закріпити булавками, якщо текстури матеріалів не гладеньки. Спочатку я пришпилила і настрочила більший лист, потім - менший.


Then I took a break because it became obvious that the picture need some bright spot to be enlivened. So I crocheted five yellow puffy flowers and added them to the composition. The flowers are stitched along the green circle and thus create 3-D effect.



Потім довелося перервати роботу, тому що картині, вочевидь, не вистачало, якогось яскравого елементу для пожвавлення. композиції. Тож я сплела гачком п'ять пухнастих квіточок. Настрочила вздовж зеленого кола, що створило об'єм.





Now it's time time to sew the zipper.



Тепер втачуємо блискавку.






The last step is to join the both parts of the pillow case. Before stitching don't forget to leave the zipper open to turn out the item.



Останній крок - з'єднати обидві частини наволочки. Перед зшиванням не забуваємо залишити блискавку відкритою, щоб потім можна було наволочку вивернути.




That's the way how autumn looks in the house :-)
Ось так і виглядає осінь у будинку :-)

2 comments: