About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

15 October 2018

Fairisle Cowl, or Travelling Arrows I

Almost any story can be told either long or quick. I seem to be pretty skillful in both ways of telling:-) This story meant to start in March after my knitting the  Downtown Hat. But it was spring, the hat turned to be too warm for that time of the season so none of new scarves were planned to be made. However, the idea stayed alive and its time came when I registered to travel to the north-east of Ukraine where the weather is supposed mucj colder in October comparing with my locality. So I bought a skein of yellow RAM Angora Yarn to combine with the remnants of the blue from the hat's and among tons of patterns chose this one, Arrow Circle Scarf, to make a cowl right to the trip. I thought the pattern with its numberless arrows pointing destinations matched the general idea of travelling.  Besides, it required only two colours so the work didn't promise to be too troubling.



Снуд з орнаментом, або Стрілки у мандрах

Майже будь яку історію можна розповідати або довго, або швидко. Здається, у мене доволі добре виходять обидва варіанти :-)
Ця історія мала розпочатися ще в березні, щойно я сплела цю шапку  Downtown. Але то була весна, шапка виявилася аж занадто теплою для тої пори року, тож жодних шарфів в доповнення плести не планувалося. Проте, намір залишався і його час настав після того як я зареєструвалася на подорож на північний схід України, де передбачається набагато холодніша погода в жовтні в порівнянні з моєю місцевістю. Тож я купила моток пряжі RAM Angora жовтого кольору, щоб поєднати з залишками синього від шапки і серед тисяч моделей обрала цю, Arrow Circle Scarf, щоб зробити снуд якраз до подорожі. Я подумала, що модель з її численними стрілками, що вказують напрямки, добре відповідає загальній ідеї мандрів. Крім того, вона потребувала всього двох кольорів, тож робота не обіцяла багато клопоту.




The knitting started last Sunday. For the provisional cast-on I used this method . But the stitches from the chain I cast of with a hook, too.



Плетіння почалося минулої неділі. Для специфічного набору петель я скористалася цим методом. Але і з ланцюжка петлі я також набирала гачком.




The pattern is for a scarf but I decided to knit around as soon as I imagined how annoying it would be to see those strands of the treads when wearing the scarf which, no doubt, won't fit around the neck as it looks on the photo.
From the afternoon up to the evening I knitted about two or three cm and during the week before the trip found the time to knit one repeat of the pattern. So after easy counting it became clear that the cowl would be ready about next spring :-) In this way the cowl transferred into a trip project.



Модель для шарфа, але я вирішила плести по колу щойно уявила як мене дратуватиме вигляд протягнутих нитей пряжі поки носиш той шарф, який, без сумніву, не лежатиме так чемно навколо шиї як це виглядає на фото.
Протягом другої половини дня я сплела десь два-три см і протягом тижня перед поїздкою знайшла час сплести один рапорт візерунку. Тож після нескладних підрахунків стало очевидним, що снуд, можливо, буде закінчено наступної весни:-) Таким чином, шарф перетворився на мандруючий проект.




I tried to go on knitting in the train while going to Kyiv. But there was pretty dark inside so I could add only few rows of the next repeat. After train it was a bus trip, and while me and my friend were going to Kozelets, a small town with a splendid cathedral, that impressed with its architecture and unique carved from wood iconostasis of 27 meters height, most of time I was napping.




Я намагалася продовжити в'язання у потязі, але у вагоні було досить темно, тож мені вдалося додати лише декілька рядків другого рапорту. Після потягу, була подорож автобусом і, поки ми з подругою їхали до Козельця, маленького містечка з розкішним собором, який вразив своє. архітектурою та унікальним різьбленим з дерева іконостасом заввишки 27 метрів, я переважно дрімала.




The journey from Kozelets to Kochubey's House was a little longer so I added few more rows to my cowl. While listening to the stories of the house, watching the pictures and the museum's exhibits and then walking around the beautiful autumn park, I forgot about the knitting at all and only felt as if filling with joy inspiration and dreams. Maybe because all the surroundings provoked the lyrical mood, my thoughts were mostly thronging on Mazepa and Motrya's love although it was not the only thing we heard in that place. 





Переїзд з Козельця до будинку Кочубея зайняв трохи більше часу, тож в дорозі я додала ще декілька рядків до снуду. Поки слухала історії про будинок, розглядала картини та музейні експонати, а потім гуляла парком, я зовсім забула про в'язання і відчувала наче наповнююсь радістю, натхненням та мріями. Можливо тому що все навколо занурювало в ліричний настрій, мої думки роїлися переважно навколо кохання Мазепи та Мотрі, хоча це було не єдине про що ми там почули.



The way to Baturyn fortress was very short so the knitting was postponed till ... indefinite time:-)
I shared my impressions for the last two days so much that it hard to find new words so I only can quote myself :-) Trips can be different: in some of them you can enjoy the landscapes, architecture, cuisine, being lazy and relaxed but after some trips you feel as if after reading some very important book. The one that changes your outlook and consciousness... as if you found something missed in the puzzle that you couldn't make the whole life. I was sure that I am as much Ukrainian as it could be but there I saw the people who really made so colossal work to restore and make our past alive that can't but admire them. Baturyn is revived from the ash national treasure and it must be a cult sight for every Ukrainian, the outcome of the scientists and donators' work is worth it indeed.
 



Шлях до Батуринської цитаделі був зовсім короткий, тож в'язання було відкладено на ... невизначений термін:-)
Протягом останніх днів я так багато ділилася враженнями, що важко знайти якісь нові слова, тож я можу лише цитувати сама себе:-) Подорожі бувають різні: можна милуватися пейзажами, архітектурою, насолоджуватися лінощами та невідомою кухнею, але після деяких подорожей почуваєшся наче після читання якоїсь дуже важливої книги. Тієї, яка змінює твій світогляд і свідомість... ти наче знаходиш якусь загублену частку пазлу, який не міг скласти ціле життя... Я була впевнена, що я настільки українка, наскільки це можливо, але там я побачила людей, які зробили таку колосальну роботу, щоб відродити та оживити наше минуле, що ними не можна не захоплюватися. Батурин - це відроджений з попелу національний скарб і має бути культовим місцем для кожного українця, результат праці науковців і донаторів справді вартий того. 





After visiting the Rosumovsky Palace and while coming back to Kyiv my knitting got the half of the second repeat. On getting home, I knitted a little more and now already have two repeats. Not bad indeed... if forgot that I need eight generally :-) So I hope the arrows will show many destinations ahead to become a cowl, finally.



Після відвідування Палацу Розумовського і на зворотному шляху до Києва моє плетіння вже мало першу половину другого повтору. По поверненню додому я зв'язала ще трішки і вже маю два повтори. Не погано... якщо забути, що мені їх треба вісім :-) Тож сподіваюся стрілки вказуватимуть ще багато напрямків попереду, щоб зрештою стати снудом.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings,
    Thank you again for sharing your needle art and adventures.
    -Eva Maria

    ReplyDelete