About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

21 August 2019

Flounce Dress, or Venice & Prejudice



Prejudice is not good. The classic sample of the prejudice is Jane Austin's of the same title book plot, for example. The good news: prejudices can be dispelled by life experience :-) This year I visited Venice. I was prejudiced against this city a lot. I imagined it to be despondent and dying, damp and grim. I don't know why I had such an idea. But during my visit I saw the city very airy, bright, stunningly beautiful and festive. And more than that I am sure those, who are looking for some special romantic atmosphere in Venice, they will find it undoubtedly as soon as they forget about thousands of people around. The thing that was hard to stand there was the absence of air conditioner in the cafe where me and my friend had dinner so it was better to do outdoors. Of course, one day in such a place is not enough to see it in full but it is more than enough to change the opinion, feel inspired and have a wish to come back again. I have no chance to do the latter, however I can dream about that and embody the dream in some of my projects:-)


Сукня з коміром-шляркою, 

або Венеція та упередження



Упередження - це не добре. Класичний приклад упередження - сюжет книги Джейн Остін з аналогічною назвою, наприклад. Гарна новина: упередження можна розвіяти життєвим досвідом:-) Цього року потрапила до Венеції. Я була дуже упереджена проти цього міста. Уявляла його похмурим, вологим, пригніченим і таким, що вмирає. Не знаю, звідки у мене народилася і затрималася така думка. Але одразу по приїзді побачила місто дуже легким, яскравим, приголомшливо гарним і святковим. Більш того, я не маю жодних сумнівів, що ті, хто шукають особливу романтичну атмосферу Венеції, обов'язково її там знайдуть, щойно припинять помічати натовп людей навколо. Що було там важко витерпіти - так це відсутність кондиціонеру в кафе, де ми з подругою обідали, тож краще це було робити на вулиці. Звісно, одного дня в такому місці не досить, щоб побачити його повністю, але це цілком достатньо, щоб змінити думку, відчути натхнення і мати бажання повернутися туди знову. Шансів це зробити у мене немає, проте я можу про це помріяти і втілити таку мрію в одному з моїх проектів :-)






At first I bought the material, a couple of years ago, it was cheap and I bought it enough to sew other fabric consuming model. And until my coming back from Italy this year still had the same plan. But then... I wanted something airy, flouncing and playful so change my mind in favour of the model #109 from Burda 6/2017. As the fabric wasn't wasted before, I guess the moment became its happy time:-)



Спочатку я купила тканину, ще пару років тому, вона була дешева і я купила її достатньо, щоб пошити іншу модель, на яку треба було багато матеріалу. І до мого повернення з Італії цього року план не мінявся. Але потім... мені захотілося чогось такого повітряного, грайливого, що слідувало б за вітром, тож я змінила свою думку на користь моделі   109 з Burda 6/2017. Оскільки тканину не було змарновано раніше, думаю, це стало її зірковим часом :-)




I mostly followed the instruction. But have some tips. Firstly, as I had no reinforcing stripe in my stash, I stitched the neck hole and armholes edges to prevent them from stretching. After the edges were processed with pipes, those stitches were removed.




Переважно все робила за інструкцією. Але декілька прийомчиків маю. Оскільки в запасах у мене немає зміцнювальної стрічки, краї пройм і вирізу переду прострочила довгим стібком, щоб не розтягувалися. Коли ті краї обробила косою бейкою, ті стібки випорола.






The collar's parts were joined with French seam. At least we call it here in this way.



Частини коміру було зшито французьким швом.




I never buy extra fabric to cut bias stripes because after that a lot of fabric is left so I make a long stripe of many short ones.




Ніколи не купую додаткову тканину, щоб кроїти косі бейкі, тому що після цього залишається багато тканини. Тож довгу смужку я зшиваю з багатьох коротких.





After finishing the dress I stitched the front parts by the centre line for about 9-10 cm and also sewed them at the V-neck with few stitches to make them keep together. To make nice hemming for collar and bottom I put tracing paper under the fabric: the fabric doesn't move and it helps keep the stitches straight. 



По закінченні пошиття я зістрочила передні частини по центру десь на 9-10 см і декількома стібками скріпила їх біля мису вирізу, щоб трималися у купі. Щоб зробити гарну строчку для підгинки спідниці і коміра, я підкладала кальку під тканину - так вона не зсувається і строчка залишається прямою.


I am very happy with the outcome. The dress surely matches the dream:-) 
I also made the bracelet, the eaкrings and a simple necklace to pair the outfit.
My full Venice album is here.



Я дуже задоволена результатом.  Сукня вже напевно відповідає мрії :-) 
Я також зробила браслет, сережки і просте намисто, щоб доповнити вбрання.

Мій повний альбом "Венеція" тут.

7 comments:

  1. Super color and style. Happy week to you!
    -Eva Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Яке плаття! Я ви б такому ходила щодня. Фото з Венецii просто зачаровують: я там нiколи не була, може якось потраплю.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Дякую, Інно! Рада, що тобі сподобалося і рада почути відгук від тебе :-) Сама не очікувала таких вражень, мабуть це все просто настрій - коли все сприймаєш з радістю. Може сукня тому і вдалася :-)

      Delete
    2. Дуже може бути :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress! Fabulous. I went to Venice this year and It was much more wonderful than I ever imagined too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Then you understand me very well!

      Delete