About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

23 February 2015

Evolution of the Hat :-)


Do you remember the times when a woman couldn't afford herself to appear in public without a hat on her head? No...? I don't either :-) But I always liked hats. Maybe it's just my attachment to the acсessories that express the mood and emphasize the style in the best way. I think clothes yet reflect the part of our inner world otherwise why people prefer different apparel and styles and our feeling of comfort depends to certain degree on what we have got on... Besides, hats make us really feminine even when we borrow the one from some... cowboy:-) The only problem with wearing headgear is the problem of choosing the one that suits you. And here I want to represent some kind of my summer hats evolution. It's pretty short but it surely will be continued :-)

Еволюція капелюха :-)

Пам'ятаєте часи, коли жінки не могли собі дозволити  з'явитися на публіці без капелюшка? Ні? Я теж - ні :-) Але мені завжди подобалось носити капелюха. Можливо через мою прихільність до аксесуарів, які допомагають виражати настрій і якнайкраще підкреслюють стиль. Я все ж таки вважаю, що одяг відображає певну частину нашого внутрішнього світу... інакше, чому б тоді нам всім подобалось різне вбрання і наше почуття комфорту до певної міри залежало від того, у що ми вдягнені? До того ж, капелюшки роблять нас такими жіночими, навіть якщо один з них ми позичили у  ковбоя:-) Єдина  проблема з головним убором - це обрати такий, який би був до лиця. Тому я хочу поділитись розповіддю про мої стосунки з літнім капелюхом. Вони не таки вже і довги, але я не маю сумнівів у тому, що вони триватимуть і надалі:-)


                     Summer 2011, or Brimmed Dream

Crocheted by the pattern Bon Vivant Hat  which I found on  +Purple Kitty site. The special thing about my work was that I made it "by eye" because my yarn was absolutely different and so I had the different gauge. The ready hat was starched and looked pretty well but as I didn't reinforce the brims enough, as soon as it got wet, the brims lost their perfect form and the suiting became over:-)

                     Літо 2011, або "Крислата мрія"

Сплетено гачком по моделі  Bon Vivant Hat , яку я знайшла на  +Purple Kitty (гарний сайт, до речі, для тих, кому цікаве ретро, чи як тепер кажуть, вінтаж). Якщо оминути деталі про невідповідність щільності мого в'язання і постійній імпровізації, то після крахмалення готового виробу результат був гарний..., допоки вода не потрапляла на капелюх... Після цього говорити про те, що він мені личить було вже не варто:-)



                          Summer 2013, Ukrainian Tune

Crocheted by the Amian Fedora pattern that I found on +Ravelry . Since my childhood I've had two (except my family, of course) "say-so"s in the clothing taste. They were Estonian magazine "Silhouette" (don't know if it still exists) and Ukrainian "Moda" (small brochures of drawn clothes, it was about the same what is  "Marfy" now). And in the first of them I once read that the hat with narrow brims suits only the thin faces. And mine is surely not the one. But anyway I decided to test the pattern because I liked it. I only wore  the hat for a season then it lost the shape and I lost the interest :-)

                             Літо 2013, "Українська мелодія"

Сплетено гачком по моделі  Amian Fedora, яку я знайшла на  +Ravelry. Від самого дитинства у мене було два незаперечних авторитети (крім родини, звісно) щодо  смаку в одязі - естонський журнал "Силует" (не знаю, чи він ще існує) і український "Мода" (може хто пам'ятає, маленькі такі брошури з намальованими моделями одягу, майже те саме, що італійський "Marfy" зараз). В "Силуеті" я якось прочитала, що капелюхи з вузікими полями пасують лише до вузьких облич. А моє ж зовсім не таке, та я все ж таки не встояла та поступилася принципами:-) Носила цей капелюшок лише один сезон, потім він втратив форму, а я інтерес до нього:-)



                                  Summer 2014, Canotier

Crocheted by the Mother-daughter Amian Hats that I found on +Ravelry . It is my ideal hat: a well-balanced proportions of the top and brims. I'm sure I'll want to test more patterns but this one will be the best for me I guess:-) 
To reinforce the edges of the brims I used corset boning and it turned out to be a great deal:-) Now I only need to decorate the hat to make it match the outfits. 

                                 Літо 2014, "Канотьє"

Сплетено гачком по моделі Mother-daughter Amian Hats, яку я знайшла на  +Ravelry. Це мій ідеальний капелюх: гарний баланс тульї і полів. Впевнена, що мені неодмінно захочеться спробувати зв'язати інші моделі, але ця буде найкращою для мене:-) 
Щоб надати краям форму, я використала корсетні кісточки. Тепер, щоб капелюх пасував до будь-якого одягу, маю лише змінювати декорування. 

  

                                          Pink Decor

One of the quick and simple ways  to tart up the hat is, no doubts, to embellish it with a flower. I used to make a lot of such flowers when they became popular thanking to Burda magazine. My mum still saves the detail with these roses from the blouse I sewed (not by Burda) for her ages ago. So when you have no time but want to put on something new, this elementary idea is in use.


                                        Рожевий декор

Один з простих і швидкіх способів прикрасити капелюшок - це, безумовно, доповнити його квіткою. Колись давно, коли такі троянди стали популярними завдяки "Burda", я їх робила дуже багато. Моя мама досі зберігає жабо з такими квіточками від блузи (сконструйованої і пошитої якраз з того українського журналу), спогади про яку вже давно зблідли, незважаючи на її яскравий колір:-) Тому, коли часу мало, а щось новеньке вдягти дуже хочеться, ця елементарна техніка завжди стане у пригоді. 



The piece of fabric, it is organza here, 20 x 135 cm. Fold with the right side inside. Sew along the edges together  narrowing the width of the piece to the ends, the longer your narrowing piece, the more naturally your rose will look. Turn out the piece.

 Невиличкий шматочок тканини, тут у мене органза, 20 х 135 см. Складаємо навпіл лицевою стороною всередину і прострочуємо края разом вздовж, на кінцях бажано ширину звузити. Чим довший завужений відрізок, тим природніший потім буде у троянди вигляд. Вивертаємо на лицевий бік.


Then make a running stitch along the seam. You can do it on the sewing machine after increasing and loosing the stitch but I prefer doing this by hands because in this way I can control the way of gathering after tightening the thread. The more gathering I make, the more open my flower will be.

Тепер маємо прокласти простий наметочний стібок вздовж шва. Можна зробити це на швейній машині, але я роблю це вручну, щоб контролювати кількість зборок після стягування нитки. Чим більше зборок, тим відкритіша троянда.

After deciding how rich flower you want, start swirling the flower from the narrower edge and sewing the layers one by one. Then apply the round piece of fabric and sew to the bottom of the rose to have a base for the clasp. If, occasionally, you have a base for a brooch, then just glue your rose to it ( like a white flower on the photo). But if to make a flower was a spontaneous decision, then you can just add a pin:-) 


Коли визначились, наскількі пишну бажаємо квітку, скручємо смужку (починаємо з вузького краю - це буде серединка, яку потім можна прикрасити намистинами тощо) і зшиваємо шар за шаром. Потім нашиваємо клаптик-кружальце, щоб перетворити троянду на справжню брош. Потім, якщо ви перфекціоністка і у вас під рукою  є основа для броші, то можна наклеіти квітку на цю основу (як біла квітка на фото). А якщо зробити троянду було досить спонтанне рішення, то можна просто прикріпити англійську булавку :-)





If to compare the final result and the made efforts, I must confess the effect is just great:-)) 



Як на ці зусилля, кінцевий результат просто надзвичайний:-)

6 comments:

  1. Оказывается..., все дело-в шляпе!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Нет, все дело - в какой ты шляпе:-))

      Delete
  2. Вам, ЛЕДИ В ШЛЯПКЕ, -виднее....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these hats. The Amian fedora also links to great site for free knit and crochet hats. Crochet hats are perfect for Oz summers, as they let the breeze through. The trick is keeping the brim in shape. I found one pattern suggested using 1/16" thick galvanized wire rope crocheted into last row as cheaper and more accessible option than millinery wire (chain 1, reverse single crochet in each stitch, slip stitch to join first stitch in round). I haven't tried it yet, but I do have RTW hats with wire around the edge that keeps them in shape.
    https://www.makeanddocrew.com/how-to-stiffen-crochet-sun-hat-brim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and for the information.I have the same opinion about crocheted hats so prefer them. Keeping the shape is their main problem, of course.

      Delete