About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

21 August 2016

Magatama Bracelet, or Mix of Petals


These magatama seed beads are unusual indeed. I looked up the word and the Internet said it means "curved jewel". I guess to design with them is pretty hard - the beads are asymmetrical so either the pattern has to include some reflected elements or just some chaotic arrangements of the beads without any hint to symmetry. I chose the latter one. More than that, as for me, the beads remind petals. And to see the mix of petals to be inspired I only have to step over the porch - and all around is full of such "jewels":-)



Браслет з магатама, або Пелюсткова суміш


Незвичні ці бісерини - магатама. Я  подивилася, що це слово означає. Інтернет каже - "вигнута коштовність". Думаю, з них складно вигадувати речі - намистини асиметричні, тому або дизайн повинен мати якісь віддзеркаленні мотиви або хаотичне розташування бісерин взагалі без жодного натяку на симетрію. Я обрала друге, тим більше, що особисто мені такі намистини нагадують пелюстки, а щоб для натхнення побачити суміш пелюсток, далеко ходити не треба - лише вийди за поріг і там таких "коштовностей" доста :-)




For my first magatama project I chose a simple video tutorial from +Potomac Bead Company. On some reason I used peach/tangerine mix of the beads for the embellishment and for the peyote base - creamy 6/0. 





Для мого першого проекту з магатама я обрала простий відео майстер клас від +Potomac Bead Company. Для оздоблення з якоїсь причини мені захотілося використати персиково-мандаринову суміш, а для пейоточної основи браслету - бісер 6/0.



Having enough 6/0 at first I made the base for eight seed beads, embellished it with magatamas, made a clasp from a big bead and a seed bead loop. But my 15 grams of magatamas was not enough for all the bracelet. The result turned out to be very rough so I unpicked it to remake.



6/0 бісеру у мене було достатньо, то спочатку я зробила основу на вісім бісерин, прикрасила її магатама, додала застібку з великої намистини і бісерної петлі. 15 грамів магатама було не досить на весь браслет. Результат вийшов якійсь грубуватий. Тому все це я розпустила, щоб переробити.  




The second try was much better. I made the peyote base for six 6/0 seed beads. This time 15 grams of magatamas were enough and I even have 7 beads left:-)
One more very essential note. It is better to add the clasp right after finishing the peyote base because then it will be troubling to pull the needle and especially to weave the ends of the thread.




Друга спроба була кращою. Пейточну основу я зробила на шість 6/0 бісерин. Цього разу 15 грамів магатама виявилося достатньо і навіть сім намистин залишилося:-)
Ще одне істотне зауваження - застібку краще додати одразу після закінчення плетіння основи, бо потім буде важко і проштовхувати голку і, особливо, заправляти кінці нитки.


The bracelet is very cheerful in its colour style and playful in its design and inspiring  to go on working with the "curved jewels":-))

Браслет дуже життєрадісний за кольоровою гамою і грайливий за своїм дизайном і надихає на подальшу роботу з цими "вигнутими коштовностями":-))

No comments:

Post a Comment