About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

13 July 2023

Bias Cut Striped Dress, or Diagonals & Angles

 






I remember very well how I bought this fabric. That year it seemed  wherever I glanced everybody was wearing striped garments: dresses, blouses, trousers or skirts. Everyone but me, of course :-) But I had no idea if I want any them and if do want  what kind of outfit I would prefer. So I started with purchasing the fabric, this one caught my eye because of contrast alternations of the print pattern. Then the turn to think over the model came. In my opinion, the most effective stripy garments are bias cut. First time I saw this kind of dress being 6 years old in Estonian Silhouette fashion magazine and I still remember that photo and have a sheet of patterns with its draft! Telling the true, when I bought the fabric, at first I meant other idea to embody but, finally, the choice was made in favour of diagonals and angles :-) 


Смугаста сукня кроєна навскіс, або Діагоналі та кути 




Дуже добре пам'ятаю, як я купувала цю тканину. Того року здавалося, що куди б я не поглянула, всі носили смугасте: сукні, блузки, штани чи спідниці. Всі крім мене, звісно :-) Але я не була певна чи насправді хочу щось з того, і якщо все ж таки хочу, то якому вбранню я б надала перевагу. Тож почала я з придбання тканини, ця мене привабила контрастним чергуванням візерунку. Потім настала черга подумати над моделлю. На мою думку, найефектнішими виробами зі смугастих тканини є покроєні навскіс. Перший раз я побачила таку сукню в естонському журналі мод "Silhouette", коли мені було 6 років, досі пам'ятаю її фото в журналі та маю аркуш викрійок з тією моделлю! Направду, коли я купила тканину, спочатку планувалася до втілення інша ідея, але, зрештою, вибір був зроблений на користь діагоналей і кутків :-) 


To sew the dress I modified pattern #116 from Burda 7/2002. As I had 2.5 m of the fabric, I shortened the pattern to 70 cm length from the waist. To have an outfit good for work I lengthened the shoulder seams for 12 cm and drew a new arm hole line. As it's clear from the photo, I had to stitch  small patches  to the centre front which were cut off after the bottom was evened (like in this dress) and to the side seams of the back which are not seen. 




Для пошиття сукня я модифікувала модель 116 з Burda 7/2002. Оскільки у мене було 2,5 м, довжину сукні вкоротила до 70 см від талії. Щоб вбрання можна було одягнути на роботу, подовжила лінію плеча на 12 см і накреслила нову лінію пройми. Як видно на фото, довелося дошити маленькі клаптики тканини до середини переду, які після вирівнювання низу (як в цій сукні) зрізалися і по боковим швам спинки, яких невидно. 



The neckline was deepened too as the selvage was used for the cutting and seen. The back neck line slit was shortened enough to pull the dress over the head and reinforced  with interfacing. All the edges are processed with pipe binding. 



Лінію горловину поглибила, тому що кромка увійшла у крій і її було видно. Розріз на спинці скоротила до довжини, щоб "пролізла голова" і зміцнила його прокладкою. Всі краї оброблені косою бейкою. 


I also made a belt using a buckle from old sandals which I gathered enough to choose something decent. The holes I made with a knitting needle. 



Також я зробила ремінь, використала пряжку від старих сандалів, яких я назбирала достатньо, щоб вибрати щось пристойне. Отвори зробила в'язальною спицею. 



The dress is vibrant and lively but doesn't achieve my charisma without bright jewelry :-) The best accessories turned to be Orange Mix Bib and earrings and Sparkling Waves bracelet



Сукня приваблива та жвава, але до моєї харизми без яскравих прикрас не дотягує :-) Найкращими аксесуарами виявилися намисто та сережки "Помаранчева суміш" та браслет "Сяючи хвилі"

No comments:

Post a Comment