About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

2 January 2021

Boat Neck Plaid Dress



Once upon a time I already speculated about the  number of Burda magazines I have. Some seamstresses own probably much more than I do, but anyway I have more magazines than enough. As a rule, I can remember if I have the pattern or not when coming across the model on the resources where we, sewing girls, share our works. Some of my Burda magazines even have a story of their buying. For example, several issues were bought while I was travelling. There are years when I bought only a couple of them and there many when I didn't buy at all. But also there are stories about how, or why, I didn't buy some magazines. Let's take Burda 9/2012. It is a beautiful issue with many interesting patterns but at the time of its publishing I wasn't active in sewing and could live without new magazines or supposed to take any for rent in our local hobby store if really needed. Up to now I have already purchased two patterns from that issue and maybe will buy more:-)



Сукня в клітинку з вирізом човником



Колись я вже просторікувала про кількість своїх журналів Burda. Напевно деякі кравчині мають їх набагато більше ніж я, але і у мене їх набагато більше ніж достатньо. Як правило, можу згадати  чи є чи немає у мене викрійки моделі, якщо на якусь натрапляю на різних ресурсах де ми, дівчата які шиють, виставляємо свої роботи. Деякі з моїх журналів навіть мають історію придбання. Наприклад, декілька журналів додалися під час подорожей. Є роки, коли купувала лише одне чи два числа, а є коли не купувала взагалі. Але також є історії як, або чому, якійсь з журналів я не купила. Скажімо, випуск Burda 9/2012. Це гарний журнал з багатьма цікавими моделями, але в час його виходу я майже не шила і спокійно жила без нових журналів або, за потреби, думала, що зможу взяти будь який внайми в нашій місцевій хобі-крамниці. На сьогодні я вже придбала дві викрійки з того журналу і, можливо, купуватиму ще:-) 



The first of them is dress #109. PDF pattern BurdaStyle 7031A (also 6149A) is the same but it appeared only these days on our Ukrainian site, I saw it today, and my dress was ready a week ago. The jewelry was made made specially to match the dress: Snowflake Pendant, Snowflake Rope I, Snowflake Rope II, Snowflake Rope III, Icicle Earrings. For me accessories are a part of outfit but this time it was a must to lessen the effect of big plaid which visually adds some weight.







Перша з них - сукня 109. PDF викрійка BurdaStyle 7031А (також 6149A) така сама, але вона лише нещодавно з'явилася на нашому українському сайті, я побачила її сьогодні, а моя сукня була готова ще тиждень тому. Прикраси були зроблені спеціально до сукні: кулон "Сніжинка", намисто "Сніжинка" І, намисто "Сніжинка" ІІ, намисто "Сніжинка" ІІІ, сережки "Бурульки". Для мене аксесуари - це  частина вбрання, але цього разу це стало необхідністю, щоб зменшити ефект великої клітинки, яка візуально додає ваги. 




The fabric pushed me to choose the model for the sewing this time. Despite the plaid is really too big for my figure I bought the piece because liked the quality (100% wool), the texture and the price on sale. My plan was to avoid much fitting not to cut the fabric but to have a hint for the feminine silhouette. In my opinion the best design of the kind is the one with darts from the side seams to the centre of the bust. I used to modify alike design for a summer dress and I am sure the garment from the last Burda magazine will fit perfect as well. Maybe I'll make it one day too. 




Цього разу тканина визначала вибір моделі. Хоча клітинка справді занадто велика для моєї фігури, я купила відріз через якість (100% вовна), текстуру та ціну на розпродажі. Задум передбачав уникнення великого прилягання щоб не різати тканину, але і не залишати сукню без натяку на жіночий силует. На мою думку найкращим варіантом такої конструкції є викрійка з виточками від бокового шву до середини грудей. Я колись модифікувала подібний крій для літньої сукні і впевнена, що вбрання з останнього числа Burda матиме досконалу посадку. Можливо колись я його теж пошию. 




My 1.70 m of fabric would be enough for the magazine's variant. I lengthened the dress for about 7 cm and the sleeves for about 9 cm + hem allowance. So had to cut the sleeves on bias. I was absolutely happy with the matching plaids on the sleeves' caps and the arm hole. 



Моїх 1,70 м тканини було б достатньо для журнального варіанту сукні. Я свою подовжила десь на 7 см і подовжила рукав на 9 + припуски на підшивку низу. Тому мала кроїти рукави навскіс. Щастям стало те, що клітинка на рукаві і пройми збіглася. 




The plaid is troubling for sewing fabric but the quality simplified it. 




Клітинка клопітна для пошиття тканина, але її якість спростила процес. 




To press the dart the cardboard triangle was useful. 





Щоб розпрасувати виточку, корисним був трикутник з картону.



The sleeves are joined by the instruction. 






Рукави вшивала за інструкцією.

The dress was lined. The lining stitched only along the facing. It is joined to the dress under arm holes with short bars. 





Сукня на підкладці. Підкладка пришита лише уздовж обшивки. Під проймами з'єднана з сукнею короткими перемичками. 




The dress and the sleeves are hemmed with slip stitches. 




Низ сукні і рукавів підшиті потайними стібками. 



I am very happy with the outcome:-) 

P.S. I only don't know why the letters in the beginning of the post are so big...



Я дуже задоволена результатом:-) 

P.S. Я тільки не знаю, чому літери на початку допису такі великі...


2 comments:

  1. I noticed the similarity between these 2012 designs and the 12/2020 pattern too. French seams like this work really well for my large bust/short waisted body. My last subscription issue was 4/2019 so I don't have 2020 pattern, but like the shaping it looks like back dart gives, so might get it when Russian site has it on sale, even though I have the two earlier issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the term.We don't call these seams French. Now I know 🙂

      Delete