About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

1 May 2018

Plaid Shirt, or Canyon Trip


Did you know that the hiking around canyons requires a special plaid shirt? I wouldn't be surprised with your negative answer because this great thought occurred to me right on the eve of my yesterday's trip to our Ukrainian Canyons, Arbuzinskyi and Actovyi. Probably such an idea had lived somewhere deep in my mind for quite long but, as the only canyon I dreamt about was the Grand one in Arizona and the trip to it is as ghostly as the chance to do that, I'd never focused on it :-)

So on Saturday night I decided I must have sewed such a shirt, looked through few magazines, chose a pattern and traced it. On Sunday morning I thought my choice is wrong because the plaid on my fabric is asymmetric so there should be as less details as possible and I looked through few magazines again and traced one more pattern which was used this time. The fabric was in my stash many years, it was bought in the times when there were not many goods in the stores and sometimes I sewed shirts for my father and brother not because I wanted but because there was no good ones to buy. Now there is no need to do that so I guess none of those men  objects to me using the fabric for myself :-)



Сорочка в клітинку, або Подорож до Каньйонів


Ви знали що прогулянка по каньйонах потребує особливої сорочки в клітинку? Мене б не здивувала заперечна відповідь, тому що ця велика думка осяяла мене якраз напередодні моєї подорожі до наших українських каньйонів, Арбузинського і Актового. Імовірно така ідея жевріла десь дуже глибоко в моїй свідомості доволі давно, але оскільки єдиний каньйон, який я мріяла побачити, був той Великий в Аризоні, а подорож до нього є такою ж примарною як і шанс, що вона колись здійсниться, то я на ній ніколи і не зосереджувалася :-)
Тож суботнього вечора я переглянула декілька журналів, відібрала модель і зробила викрійку. Недільним ранком я подумала, що вибір мій нікудишній, тому що клітинка на тканині надто несиметрична і деталей має бути в моделі якнайменше. Тож я знову переглянула декілька журналів і зробила ще одну викрійку, якою і скористалася. Тканина пролежала в моїх запасах багато років, з часів коли товарів в крамницях було небагато і іноді я шила своїм батькові і брату сорочки не тому що хотілося, а тому, що не було чого пристойного купити. Зараз такої необхідності немає, тож, сподіваюся, жоден з тих чоловіків не проти аби я використала тканину для себе :-)




The pattern #114 from Burda 4/2010. The fabric was mentioned to be plaid and, more than that, asymmetric plaid so the sewing is actually of the type Never Say Never :-) But some approximate centre of symmetry must be chosen anyway. In this case the black stripes have symmetry but it is not statement enough so I decided to ignore the plaids and hold the symmetry of horizontal stripes. Not to ponder much about matching the yoke, cuffs and pockets plaids, I cut them bias.

Модель 114 з Burda 4/2010. Тканина, як було зазначено, в клітинку та, більш того, в асиметричну клітинку, тож все пошиття з серії "Ніколи не кажи ніколи" :-) Але в будь якому випадку хоча б приблизний центр симетрії треба визначати. Тут чорні смужки мають симетрію, але вона не достатньо визначена, тому я вирішила ігнорувати клітинки і дотримуватися симетрії горизонтальних смужок. Щоб не дуже заморочуватися з підбором клітинок кокетки, манжетів та кишень, я їх покроїла навскоси.



The model in the magazine is not checkered so I had to take care about matching the fabric pattern on the main points of coincidence on the sides and sleeves myself. In this way I match the plaid on the sleeves.



Модель в журналі не в клітинку, тому про добір візерунку у головних точках збігу, бокових швах та рукавах, мала подбати сама. Так підбираємо клітинку на рукавах.



If the fabric lets, as in this shirt, I try to sew the both edges of a yoke in the same way, I mean to join two yokes and back/front parts of the shirt stitched on the machine. In this way the joining seams are inside both on the back and front and I don't need to make any hand work.



Якщо тканина дозволяє, я намагаюся притачати обидва зрізи кокетки однаково. Маю на увазі, з'єднати обидві кокетки та передню/задню частини сорочки машинкою. У цьому випадку з'єднувальні шви опиняються всередині і мені нічого не треба робити вручну.






I cut two  pockets because they are not too big and as they are bias cut, the only one could look as a patch in this case.



Покроїла дві кишені, тому що вони невеликі і покроєні навскоси. Єдина кишеня могла б виглядати як якась латка.






Despite its natural structure and nice colour style, the fabric is of not very high quality. One of it defects was notices only after the cutting because it was on the bottom layer of the fabric. So I had to disguise the defect with the pocket sewed three cm lower than in the pattern. New designs are born in this way :-)



Незважаючи на натуральний склад і милу кольорову гаму, тканина не дуже високої якості. І один з її визначних дефектів я побачила вже після розкрою, тому що він був на нижньому шарі тканини. Через це довелося його маскувати за допомогою кишені пришитою на три см нижче ніж у моделі. Ось так народжуються фасони:-)



How to sew the collar and the cuffs was told few times, for example, here and here. I won't repeat but much confess that this time I sewed the collar at first to the right side of the blouse and than to the wrong ...hmm... but it is as they recommend in the magazine.



Як пришивати комір і манжети вже було сказано декілька разів, наприклад, тут і тут. Не повторюватиму, але маю зізнатися, що цього разу спочатку пришила комір до лицевої частини сорочки, а потім до зворотньої... хммм... але це саме те, що вони рекомендують у журналі.







The shirt is nice and comfortable, it doesn't restrict movements because has pretty lose fitting but is not too wide at the same time.



Сорочка гарна і зручна, не обмежує рухів, тому що має вільне прилягання, але при цьому не є надто широкою.




I felt free from all the troubles of every day routine there and  could stay on those stones endlessly... In such places you have a feeling as if you are talking to or observing the eternity.. And it is so indeed because those stones were born together with Earth and when we are gone, they will still stay there accumulating the sun's energy and saving their legends.




Почувалася вільною навіть від думок про щоденну рутину і могла б залишатися на тому камінні безкінечно... В таких місцях завжди буває відчуття ніби ти розмовляєш чи дивишся в очі вічності... І воно так і є, бо те каміння народжувалося разом із Землею, а коли ми підемо, воно так само залишатиметься там, збиратиме енергію сонця і зберігатиме свої легенди.



What else a person needs to feel happy...


А що ще потрібно людині щоб почуватися щасливою...

2 comments: