About Me

My photo
My blog's main subjects are sewing, the thing in which I am experienced the most, and beadwork, which is, in fact, pushed me into blogging. I am also engaged in knitting and crocheting. All together they are the set of skills which I use to make my wardrobe my whole life. These are not my only interests, I also like the English language (that's one of the reasons that my blog is bilingual), try to travel around my country and abroad (when can afford it), am interested in art (to the degree of a dilettante but nevertheless) and adore the people who can create anything beautiful or useful whatever it is :-) So welcome to a needlecrafter diary!

28 January 2019

Faux Shearling Coat



What to start with... I thought I needed a new coat, a winter one. Because my favourite red is quite old, I gained weigh and at last I wanted to follow the rule, I've known since my study in a sewing school, I mean: to have a red coat, you need one more not to get tired of the red. The idea of such sewing was born in my head a few years ago but if to choose something to sew for routine wearing is sometimes the fuss, to understand what you want for many years of use as outwear confused me much more than a lot.  And still does because the garment I've got is not for too windy or frosty winter days.  When the photos were taken, it was 3 degrees below zero and, although I wasn't cold at the moment, I am not sure how it would go if to stay outdoors for longer time. To say in brief, I made a coat of the fabric I wanted, not the for the aim I needed :-)



In the photo I am wearing Downtown Hat.


Пальто зі штучної замші



З чого ж розпочати... Я подумала, що мені час пошити нове пальто, зимове. Тому що моє улюблене червоне вже доволі старе, я набрала вагу і, нарешті, мені захотілося вчинити відповідно до правила, яке я знаю ще з часів навчання у кравецькій школі,  а саме: щоб мати червоне пальто, треба мати ще одне, щоб не втомлюватися від червоного. Ідея пошиття народилася у мене декілька років тому, але, якщо вибір для пошиття повсякденного звичного одягу іноді стає клопотом, то зрозуміти що ти хочеш, щоб носити як верхній одяг протягом багатьох років, може стати справді морокою. І так воно і досі є. тому що вбрання, яке у мене вийшло, не для надто вітряних та морозних зимових днів. Коли робилися фото, на вулиці було 3 градуси нижче нуля і, хоча я і не змерзла, не впевнена як надовго мене б вистачало, якщо залишилася на свіжому повітрі довше. Скажімо так, я пошила пальто з якої хотіла тканини, а не таке, яке мені було потрібне :-)


На фото на мені шапка "Downtown".



Obviously from the said above, the ideas about the patterns were pushed by the fabric and not vice versa. It is not thick faux suede with some kind of faux sheepskin on the wrong side. Looks like a teddy bear skin mostly :-) The fabric is in fact, a kind on knits. While choosing the pattern, I was looking through all the magazines I have except summer issues. The main problem to solve was if the pattern had enough ease to have fluffy wrong side and if how well it would look on me. After selection full of doubts, chose #103 from Burda 8/2013, both of the modification were in use because the pockets were arranged on the fronts by the model #102. 



Очевидно з вищесказаного, думки про модель почалися з тканини, а не навпаки. Це не товста штучна замша з такою собі штучною овчиною на зворотній стороні. Більше нагадує плюшевого ведмедика :-) Тканина, насправді, це певний вид трикотажу. Поки шукала модель, передивилася всі свої журнали, крім літніх чисел. Головне питання було чи матиме модель достатньо свободи на пухнасту зворотню сторону і наскільки добре це буде на мені виглядати. Після декількох кіл відбору, зупинилася на моделі №103 з Burda 8/2013, обидві модифікації знадобилися, тому що кишені я розмітила у відповідності до моделі №102.



When the model was chosen, the pattern traced, the time of the cutting came: the direction of fibre on the suede had to be followed. Before starting the sewing I, of course, looked for advices in the Internet. There are plenty of them but none what I needed about this certain fabric (maybe I just decided not to waste time and looked for not thoroughly enough), mostly the things known for me as I had an experience of sewing both natural and faux fur. 

So after starting my sewing main things turned out to be true. I can use sewing machine, I can cut the fabric with usual scissors (the blade is not necessary) and, if to be quick, unpicking of the seams is possible without holes left (machine needle is thin for knits).




Як модель було обрано, викрійку переведено, настав час для крою. Тут треба було дотримуватися напрямку ворсу замші. Перед початком роботи, я, звісно, шукала поради в Інтернеті. ЇХ там дуже багато, але нічого з того, що мені було потрібно саме для роботи з цією тканиною (можливо, я просто вирішила не гаяти час і не так вже ретельно шукала), переважно поради відомі мені, тому що у мене був досвід роботи і з натуральним і з штучним хутром.

Після початку роботи виявилися такі головні факти. Строчити можна на машинці, можна кроїти тканину звичайними ножицями (тобто обійтися без леза) і, якщо швидко, можна розпускати шви і дірки не залишаються (голка для машинки тонка трикотажна).




The back yoke seam. At first I stitched it open from on the front side but it looked tough so I unpicked it.



Шов кокетки спинки. Спочатку  я його розстрочила з лицевої сторони, але виглядало грубо, тому розпустила.



Pockets. From this moment I used the same technique for all the edges to stitch.

The pocket size is 25 x 18 cm with the facing which is stitched to the right side and makes decor for the pocket. The pockets arranged quite low so they don't widen the hips despite the fabric and pockets type.





Кишені. З цього моменту всі краї я нашивала за однією технікою.
Розмір кишені 25 х 18 см з обшивкою, яка настрочена на лицевий бік кишені і прикрашає його. Кишені розташовані низько тому не повнять стегна незважаючи на тип тканини та кишень.

The front edge always needs to be reinforced because while wearing any kind of jacket or a coat, the front edge stretches to some degree not depending on the fabric, and the laps became open. Such kind of a coat has no facing so I stitched the firming stripe to the edge seam allowance along the front with much tension, you see slight gathering on the photo. It shortened the edge for about 1.5-2 cm but that's OK. Then bent the edge on the front for 1 cm and stitched. 



Передній край переду завжди має бути зміцненим незалежно від виду жакету чи пальта, бо має властивість розтягуватися в процесі носіння і тоді пілочки стають відкритими. Такий вид пальта не має підборту тому я настрочила на припуск зміцнювальну стрічку вздовж борту зі значним натягуванням, на фото видно невеличке призбирання. Це скоротило довжину краю на 1,5-2 см, але це добре. Потім зігнула край на 1 см і настрочила на лицеву сторону переду.



Shoulder seams. After the pockets were ready I liked the way the fur makes the frame around the detail so I decided to make the same on the shoulders.



Плечові шви. Як кишені були готові, мені сподобалося як хутро утворює таку собі рамку по контуру деталі, тож я вирішила те саме зробити на плечових швах.




On the sleeves, the elbow seam is usual, the front seam is on the pockets and shoulders.


На рукавах шов ліктя зроблений звичайно, передній шов як на кишенях та плечах.




Sew the cuffs.




Пришиваємо манжети.


The collar consists of two parts. Inside the collar it is better to put something like synthepon to add some volume to the collar. But I didn't do that. The inner part is stitched to the neck hole as usual with seam allowances inside. The outer part is layered on the right side of the coat and stitched by the fur.

Комір складається з двох частин. В середину коміра бажано прокласти щось на зразок синтепону для надання об'єму, але я цього не робила. Внутрішня частина коміра пришивається як зазвичай, з припусками на шви всередину. Зовнішня частина накладається на лицеву частину пальта і настрочується по хутру.





Processing of the hem.



Обробка низу.




Buttonholes. Such kind of clothes require bound buttonholes but as my fabric is sewing machine friendly, I made combined buttonholes. At first stitched it with a thick firming thread and then overlocked the cut hole by hands.


Петлі. Такий вид одягу потребує петель в "рамку", але оскільки моя тканина добре шиється на машині, я зробила комбіновані петлі. Спочатку прострочила на машинці зі зміцнювальною товстою ниткою. Потім обмітала вручну.



With Colour Blocks brioche scarf  and a new hat it looks like this. In a usual life the belt is blue :-)



З шарфом "Кольорові блоки" та новою шапкою виглядає так. В звичайному житті - ремінь синій :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment